Monday, November 23, 2009

What I'm Reading Now: Madeleine Vionnet


What I am Reading Now: Madeleine Vionnet
Notes from the Sewing Studio 2009

Our Malaysian bookshops don't stock a lot of fashion sewing books.
So a while ago I ordered a whole bunch of books online including this book on Madeleine Vionnet by Betty Kirke, which I am reading and thoroughly enjoying. I thought I'll give you a glimpse of what's inside.

When it first arrived, I expected it to be just another coffee table book with pretty pictures. That's mainly because of its size:  15 x 11 inches, and heavy! It's definitely not something I can pop into my bag for a quick perusal while waiting at the dentists.

But the book actually had what I was looking for, which are close-up photo's of Vionnet's designs and write-up's on her techniques including features on her key designs/patterns.

According to the write-up on the inside front cover, there are 38 patterns from Vionnet's original designs and over 400 illustrations and photos.

There are no actual usable dress patterns in the book, but there are quite a number of  illustrations on the schematics including how the pattern pieces were placed on the fabrics before cutting. You can see what I mean in the pic above.
 
If you can draft patterns, you can probably figure out how to make a pattern from the schematics with a bit of trial and error.

I'm definitely going to try doing this once I complete the Sew Along capsule, or maybe I might replace one of the Sew Along items with a Vionnet-Repro?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment